CAI ESTIMATES COTTON CROP FOR 2019-20 SEASON AT 354.50 LAKH BALES
Cotton Association of India (CAI) has released its first estimate of the cotton crop for the season 2019-20 beginning from 1st October 2019. This is a preliminary estimate. The CAI will reassess the crop again in the first week of December as the season advances and make changes in the crop figures depending on the improvement or worsening of weather conditions.
CAI has estimated its cotton crop for the 2019-20 season at 354.50 lakh bales of 170 kgs. each which is higher by 42.50 lakh bales compared to the previous years crop of 312 lakh bales.
The increase in crop estimated for the 2019-20 season is on account of higher acreage under cotton than that of the previous season. Moreover, the CAI estimates yields to be higher as the country has received a good rainfall this year. However, there are reports of damage to the crop in some pockets due to flooding on account of excess rains. Keeping this in mind, increase in crop is restricted to 13.62%.
Yearly Balance Sheet projected by the CAI estimated total cotton supply till the end of the cotton season i.e. upto 30th September 2020 at 403 lakh bales which consists of the opening stock of 23.50 lakh bales at the beginning of the cotton season, crop for the season estimated at 354.50 lakh bales and imports estimated by the CAI at 25 lakh bales.
Domestic consumption estimated by the CAI for the 2019-20 crop year i.e. upto 30th September 2020 is 315 lakh bales while the CAI has estimated export of cotton for the season at 42 lakh bales. The carryover stock estimated at the end of the season is 46 lakh bales.
HIGHLIGHTS OF DELIBERATIONS HELD AT THE MEETING OF THE CROP COMMITTEE OF COTTON ASSOCIATION OF INDIA ON 4TH NOVEMBER 2019
Crop Committee of Cotton Association of India (CAI) met on 4th November 2019. 14 members were present. Based on the data available from various trade sources, upcountry associations and other stakeholders, the Committee arrived at its first estimate of the cotton crop for the 2019-20 season beginning on 1st October 2019 and drew estimated cotton balance sheet.
The following are the highlights of deliberations at the said meeting:-
- The cotton crop for the season 2019-20 has been estimated by the CAI at 354.50 lakh bales which is higher by 42.50 lakh bales than compared to cotton crop estimated by the CAI for 2018-19.
- Cotton exports for the season are estimated at 42 lakh bales i.e. at the same level as in the previous year.
- Imports of cotton are projected at 25 lakh bales which are lower by 7 lakh bales compared to the cotton imports of 32 lakh bales of 170 kgs. each estimated by the CAI for the previous year.
- The yearly consumption estimated by the CAI is 315 lakh bales which is higher by 3.5 lakh bales compared to the previous cotton season.
- Indian cotton arrivals for the month of October 2019 are estimated at 13.40 lakh bales.
- Total closing stock estimated by the CAI at the close of the cotton season 2019-20 is 46 lakh bales of 170 kgs. each which is higher by 22.50 lakh bales than that estimated for the last year.
|Mumbai||(Atul S. Ganatra)|
|8th November 2019||President|
|State||Arrivals As on 31st October 2019|
|Pressed (in lakh b/s of 170 kgs each)||Loose (in lakh b/s of 170 kgs each)||(in lakh b/s of 170 kgs each)||(in’000 Tons)||Pressed (in lakh b/s of 170 kgs each)||Loose (in lakh b/s of 170 kgs each)||(in lakh b/s of 170 kgs each)||(in’000 Tons)||(in lakh b/s of 170 kgs each)||(in’000 Tons)|
|Total North Zone||58.90||6.60||65.50||1113.50||52.90||6.60||59.50||1011.50||8.55||145.35|
|Total Central Zone||186.35||9.65||196.00||3332.00||170.98||9.65||180.63||3070.71||3.50||59.50|
|Total South Zone||78.20||9.80||88.00||1496.00||57.75||9.80||67.55||1148.35||1.95||33.15|
|(in lakh b/s)||(in’000 Tons)||(in lakh b/s)||(in’000 Tons)|
|Consumption by SSI Units||27.00||459.00||25.00||425.00|
|Non- Mill Consumption||12.00||204.00||12.00||204.00|
|Total Domestic Demand||315.00||5355.00||311.50||5295.50|